Thursday, October 25, 2012

PRIYATAMA ( The DEAREST )




LORD   JAGANNATH   AS   SRIKRISHNA









               P R I Y A T A M A
                        ( THE DEAREST )

         I never let anybody know that I knew her nor did I give anyone a chance to suspect that I was familiar to her lest someone might misconstrue it. The only reason is that not only the entire temple, but the whole of Purusottamakshetra   (Puri) was aware that she married ar a very late age. The wayward boys made sarcastic remarks at her, the woman exchanged derisive looks. The adults and the old gave ludicrous smiles. To speak in a nutshell, the atmosphere was totally polluted with her presence in the temple.

         Our acquaintance has been very long. She was fourty years older than I. She was no way connected to me – neither by blood nor by any relationship, nor was she known through our association at any walk of life. Our relationship had a dramatic beginning. I used to sit just nearby where she sat regularly in the ‘Jagamohan’ of the temple of Goddess Lakshmi. Every evening she used to pray there, sat in meditation with closed eyes. When she opened her eyes, I almost fell in her notice and this was a regular occurance. The estrangement between us gradually melted and one day I marked that she looked at me with a smile. After a few days she initiated with a well-meaning enquiry, “Are you fine, my boy ?” I gave a cordial reply.

            We sat together every evening and in such a pious ambiance  our relationship grew stronger. If I went out on some work and did not go to the temple, she remembered me very much. I also felt the same at the particular time in the evening wherever I was. Closing my eyes, I recollected the ennobling experience of our daily meeting. I enjoyed the moment when she opened her eyes slowly after meditation and asked me with a smile, “Are you okay ?” It was followed with my affirmative reply. I got utmost satisfaction with the reminiscences. As I grew familiar, I started addressing her ‘Maa’ (Mother). She also treated me as her son. Sometimes she asked, “Are you hungry ? You look pale and withered.”

           After listening to my explanation she said, “Leave it, it’s all childish. Many things happen in conjugal life. Does anybody ever come to this place with a morose face, without taking anything ? Besides this, the daughter-in-law is too young. Because she told something out of childish ignorance, you came away in pique ? The she brought “Mahaprasad” from Ananda Bazar and fed me with her snow-white hand and said affectionately, Swear today in the name of the sacred “Mahaprasad” that you would never come to this place in empty stomach.” While taking the last morsel of food from her hand, I swore “No, never.”

          After finishing her meditation she went to the ‘kirtan’ courtyard and paid her obeisance to a particular stone plate. I marked everyday when she got up, her eyes were almost drenched wioth tears. She became speechless for quite a long time. I looked at the stone. No writings were visible. All of them had been erased with the roll of time. One day I asked her about it boldly and came to know the whole of her past life from her reply.

          “ Very often I used to come to this temple with my father in my childhood – from the day I acquired the basic knowledge of the world.” “Then you went to have a ‘darshan’ ( seeing the Lord ) of the deity. “ Suddenly she interrupted , “No, I did not see the deity on all the days. If my father did not insist, if he did not lift me up over the wooden cross-bar in the “Jagmohan’, I could not see the deity. The day I got a glimpse of the Lord, I did not like His face at all, somehow a sense of fear crept in me.”

           While narrating her reminiscence it seemed as if she suddenly became a child and uttered in a half-clear childish tone, “Father went on chanting, looking at the black faced deity for hours together – I enjoyed to see the monkeys moving inside the temple precinct. Days passed. I grew up. I had gone to Puri with my father many a time. I was excited to see the statues all around the temple walls without father’s notice. On some days father marked me staring at those statues  (not meant for my age) with rapt attention. I was ashamed of being noticed by him. Sometimes I bit my tongue. OIn being asked I candidly confessed that I had not gone inside.

           “ The I was given in marriage. I came to the temple with him also twice or thrice.” I interrupted, “ only two to three times.”

             With a tearful smile, she continued, “It was a very short period. Only one month after, the vermillion from my forehead was erased and the bangles were taken out.”

             On being questioned she heaved a sigh and replied, “Yes, this stone is in my memory. He was very fond of sitting here. He was able to see from here – three at a time Mahalakshmi, the Blue Wheel and Satyanarayan. He used to say, I like this place very much. If I pass away earlier, then install a stone here in my name.”

             Her eyes were filled with tears. She avoided my consolatory words and added, “No, no ..., it is not like that. I felt a peculiar kind of pain after his death, after my bubble-like married life. It seemed he came everyday in the midnight and called me to go to that place and sit there. I followed him. He used to sit on that stone; he asked me to sit and i obeyed. After a while he got up, moved towards the ‘Jagmohan’ and we both saw the deity together. Suddenly I marked him walking towards the ‘Ratnasimhasana’ (Sanctum sanctorum). I cried, ‘don’t go, don’t go, ‘bhoga’ would be defiled’ – he never listened, but looked behind with a smile. Amazingly, he would merge with Lord Jagannath. Next day in the midnight the same thing recurred He asked, “Could you not understand anything ? Ok, let’s go today.”

            We both went together. He sat on the stone for some time, got up and moved towards the ‘Jagmohan’ climbing up the seven steps and then watched the ‘Arati’. Again he walked towards Lord JAGANNATH without my notice and was lost in the holy body of the Lord. I returned home all alone. When I was fast asleep at night, he appeared in the dream again and asked, ‘Can’t you understand anything ? I replied in 
the negative.

            My language is quite inadequate to narrate her strange story. Her serene beauty, the calm and cool, her affectionate voice – all were unique indeed.

            All in the temple held her with utmost reverence for her catholicity of temper and generocity. But suddenly everything changed; the lady of awe and adoration became the target of gossip and sarcastic remarks. This happened one day when she came to the temple with vermillion on the forehead and golden bangles on her hands. She became the hot topic of discussion in the entire temple for the whole day. Then whispers, whistling and unsavoury comments were the usual response of the illiterate and uncultured public.

            From that day I left my usual sitting place in goddess Lakshmi’s temple just to avoid her. I felt ashamed to retain my relationship with her. It was the incident of the same day last year. The de ities were in ‘anashara’. The temple looked deserted. No sooner did I step in to the ‘Jagmohan’, than my eyes fell on her; she was looking here and there in gloom and depression. I was about to leave the place , avoiding her. She called me, “ Hear me, my boy! I stopped. Tears rolled on her cheeks. I asked, “ What happened ? Why do you cry ?”

            “He is not well. I came for medicine,” she replied.

             I was terribly restless with a sense of abhorrence for her. I looked all around carefully with the apprehension that somebody might have noticed while talking to this depraved woman.

             Suddenly she caught hold of my hands and entreated, “Won’t you go to see him at least once ?”

             I said, “ I have no time today, I shall go later. I withdrew my hand forcibly from her. She held my lips and said, “Don’t refuse, my boy, he was asking about you.”

             “Not now, some time later. I don’t know him, nor does he.”

             “But he knows. He had told me about your name and address, your village on the bank of a river. There is the shrine of Lord Kunjabihari nearby your house.How beautiful is the face of Radharani statue there! Is it not ?”

              I was really wonder-struck. I had never told her about my village. How could she knew ?

              I followed her like an obedient child to see her husband. She lived in a small but beautiful house at a little distance from the temple. After reaching near the doorstep, she uttered in slow voice, “ Do you hear, please open the door, look who has come. How do you feel now ?”

              I could not hear anything from inside. But, while pushing open the door she said, “It was late to get the medicine from the doctor. Besides, you also asked me to bring this person whenever I met him. Did you take water dissolved with crystallized form of sugar?” When I entered the house I saw somebody sleeping with his body fully covered. I felt a little bit uncomfortable in the strange surrounding. She asked me to sit on the chair beside the cot. She was taken aback when she moved her hand on the feet of her husband, “Oh, so high temperature! Let me give the medicine. Oh, what should I do ?”

              I shrieked when I saw the sight of her offering the medicine, taking it out from a knot on the edge of her worn cloth. I began to entirely tremble.

              She assured , “ You need not fear. He has talked about you many a time. I shall tell everything. Let me give the medicine.”

              After administering the dose of medicine , she covered again the body of her husband. She brought out something after inserting her hand into the covered cloth. It was a golden flute, I saw. With utmost humility and reverence , she expressed her concern : “ I appealed to you so much not to take unnecessary strain by playing on the flute. The temperature of the body has gone up, you don’t listen to me.” Then she humbly touched the flute to my head and also her head and kept it at the appropriate place, nicely arranged.

              Then she started talking to the void. I now record here whatever I heard from one side.

              Tomorrow you will be normal.I will again bring this person to meet you. The day after tomorrow you will go on the chariot. See, how grand is the decoration and drapery on the chariot !”

               I saw a chariot in the corner of the house with dazzling drapery and fine floral decorations.

               She heard something again and asked me, “ Is the chariot of your Kunjabihari adorned like this every year ?”

              I gave an affirmative reply. Then she continued at the void........”You have not taken the whole of the diet.I am giving whatever is left behind. You need not worry about it.” She took out a mango from a stone pot and offered me. What a wonderful taste !

              I was entangled in an illusion. Suddenly she moved a little from her husband, lying on the bed, as if she has heard something  from him. Then she suggested, “ Will you sit a little on the chair ! You must be feeling unwell by constantly lying on the bed,.....okay.” She took out the cloth covered on her husband and made him sit on a silver chair infront of me. This time it was a face to face meeting. I was awe struck. Suddenly she responded after hearing something . “ No, he is not afraid.......Oh! the flute again you want.”

              When she put the flute on the unfinished hand of her husband, the entire house vibrated with a wonderful note. Enthralled with music , she immediately fell at the feet of the black-faced-deity (Lord JAGANNATH) seated on the silver chair.I also fell down before her feet and prayed with tearful eyes, “ Oh Mother, forgive me.”

               With a compassionate heart and graceful look she raised me up and moved her tender merciful palm over my body.

 Source : From the book "Lord Jagannath in the Stories of Experience"
              Author: Sri Rabindra Narayan Mishra (in Oriya Language)
              Translator : Sri Suman Mahapatra
(Permission of Sri R.N.Mishra taken to bring it to my Blog. )




                                  SRIJAGANNATH   TEMPLE   at   PURI

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

No comments:

Post a Comment