Sunday, November 11, 2012

NAA, NAAURI, NARENDRA

NAA, NAAURI, NARENDRA
LORD RAMA, LAKSHMANA & SITA crossing river Ganges by Nishaada king Guha & boatman






       



     
                                                                                   LORD KRISHNA with Gopies in Yamuna river Naa, Nauri, Narendra
( The Boat, Boatman, Narendra )

At that time there was almost nobody around the Narendra  ( a tank where Chandan festival is held ). The wind had calmed down. Even the leaves of the papal tree on the edge of the tank did not stir. The ripples undulating with the breeze had automatically gone to sleep in fatigue. A little while ago the chandan ground had become completely deserted and had taken rest. Even a small creature was not visible in the vicinity. Just a little before people thronged around. They congregated for the ‘darshan’ of the deities, Madanmohan, Pancha Parameshwara, Rama, Krishna, Maa Laxmi, Maa Bhudevi. They dispersed after the deities were gone to their shrines. The entire atmosphere seemed somehow desolate and forlorn. The used garlands of the deities lay scattered on the water and the platform in the tank. Up above the sky was there the silvery moon and near it veiled a little star twinkling. The demonic clouds at a little distance waited for a chance to devour them.

It was dead silent, stillness everywhere.

After the Chandan festival, Shri Jagannath had already returned to the temple quite sometime before. The Grand Road of Shrikshetra had also become lonely. Very soon the moon also disappeared. The dew drops glittered on the blades of the grass as though the twinkling stars had shed tears after the departure of deities.
The two boats were chained to the Chandan ground. In one boat were seated the deities, Madanmohan, Maa Laxmi, and Maa Bhudevi and on the other were three deities Rama, Krishna, and Pancha Parameshwar, i.e. Sree Markanda, Sree Yameswar, Sree Lokanath, Sree Kapalamochana and Sree Nilakantha.

The boatman was feeling sleepy at the prow of the boat where Madanmohan was seated. Suddenly he woke up with a whispering sound. He was startled and looked hither and thither, no one was there. Who whispered his name in a quivering voice, “Boatman ! boatman ! boatman ?”

When he looked around with incredulous eyes the same quivering voice continued. “.......Boatman.......It’s me.......... I am the boat, speaking. Won’t you recognize me ? Can’t you recollect my voice?”

The boatman said, “O Boat, haven’t you gone to sleep? What do you say?”

The boat came closer, he put his hand on his right shoulder and said reminiscing, “Boatman ! ... today all events of the past Ages dance before my eyes, I could not sleep.”

“Which event?”

“That thing, which neither you nor I can ever erase from our minds.”

“Boat?” There was a big question mark on the face of the boatman. His voice was dry and lifeless. All of a sudden the turban on his head appeared heavy and he put it on the boat.

The boat asked, “Boatman, can’t you really recollect anything?”

The boatman stared at the boat in that thin darkness of the night. He marked his tearful eyes. Holding some jasmine flowers close to his chest which fell down from the chignon of Maa Laxmi, the boat said, “Boatman, I am reminded of the incident of the day .......That day also I had the flowers which fell down from the heads of Radha and Krishna ...... I was so overwhelmed and acstatic ..... you asked for those used flowers ..... I handed them to you ... Then touching them to your head, you preserved them in the corner of your clothes tying with a knot ...Do you recollect ?”

The boatman said, “Yes, I can recall everything. With these reminiscences my body shivers. Yes, the events belong to some Ages.”

The boat noticed. With meditative eyes, the boatman was trying to recollect the remote incidents and then he stared at him. The boat heard the voice of the boatman, Boat, I am delving deep into the dead past, the remote past. Do you remember that day ..... a dwarf, about four feet in height, under a palm leaf umbrella hurriedly ran towards you, perspiring in the mid-day sun.”

The eyes of the boat were closed; within the twinkle of an eye he transported himself to the Satya Yuga. He said, “O yes ! now I remember. All the people in the boat laughed at the sight of the dwarf hurring under the palm leaf umbrella ..... a funny scene indeed. How could this dwarf climb up the boat? How could he get down from it ? Where was his destination ? What is his identity ?” A series of such questions cropped up.

The boatman said, “All the people who had already got in shouted, ‘The boat is already filled. Please start, the mid-day sun is above, the scorching heat is unbearable. I looked at the dwarf. I was enchanted.”

“What happened ?”

“ I gazed at Him in amazement. Something within me constantly reminded me. He was not merely a dwarf, an object of fun and ridicule but the Absolute (Param Brahman) proceeding towards you with lotus feet. I was about to untie the boat and start rowing. I was stuck. My eyes were riveted on the Dwarf. My grips slackened. I put down the oar on your body; and my palms joined together spontaneously to pay my obeisance to Him.”

The boat said,”Oh yes ! now I also recall it exactly. When the people lifted Him on to my body, I was thrilled. I thought, “Who is He?”

The boatman advanced further. “At that time it was beyond our comprehension thatHe was the incarnation of Lord Vishnu (in the form of a dwarf) going for alms from the king Bali. When we came to know it later, our lives became complete and blissful. Is it not ?”

The boat ruminated, “This had happened in the Satya Yuga. Then do you remember the ‘Treta Yuga ?’
“Yes, I remember. That day, when the two brothers Kausalyadhan (Lord Rama) and Sumitraprana (Lakshmana) had appeared ........we were then in the river Ganga.......”

The boat meditatively said,”Oh ! Boatman, taht day Guru Viswamitra was with them .....at that time the demons created havoc in the conduct of ‘yajna’. They made in the lives of rishis and sages miserable. Some times they blew up the sacrificial ingredients, flowers, leaves, wood and even left excreta into the pit meant for the oblation.”

Now the boatman added, “........Oh! my dear, that day all the three came to the bank of the Ganga. My eyes were purified and ennobled at the sight, all the sins of the ages were washed away. The moment I had the ‘darshan’ , the darkness shrouded by the sins of my past lives was dispelled.”

The boat interrupted, “.....Ah, how cleverly you acted on that day. Without disclosing your real intention, you said to Him cunningly, ‘ No, I can’t ferry you across the river.This boat is only my resource ... I earn my living by this ....  if it turns into a woman by the dust of your feet like the stone on the road side...’

The boatman said, “ That day Lord Rama gave a smile appreciating the inner motive of my objection and asked in his nectar-like voice, “ Then what do you want boatman?”

The boat recapitulated, “ Ah, what a fine solution you gave! ‘ O Lord, if there is dust in your feet and the dust particles fall on my boat, then only it would become a woman. I know the way out. I will wash your feet, then dry it with my towel, I will not a single dust particle cling on to your feet.”

The boatman said, “ My dear!These incidents date back to two Ages long buried in the sands of time –  do you still remember?”

The boat came closer and uttered, “ Boatman, how can I forget it? When you have humbly appealed to the Lord, His dearest Lakshmama could understand your feelings and the smile on his face at that time was quite revealing.”

The boatman further said, “ But, Biswamitra was worried. He was apprehensive, so he was in hurry to cross the river.”

Without giving a chance to speak further the boat said. “ Boatman! that day you were rewarded for your virtuous deeds of many births.... you washed the feet of the Lord and I simply stared at you with a feeling of nothingness, a sense of utter failure and futility. I was deprived of the dust from the Lord’s  feet but for your envy. You were squarely responsible for snatching away a golden opportunity from me. How clever you were...! You took the long cherished ‘padukapani’ ( the water with which the feet of the deities are washed) several times while washing the feet ! I was really envious of you.”

The boatman said. “ yes, I have also marked it. You were burning with anger and envy. When I wiped His feet with my cloth, you could not bear it and objected, “ Lord has been standing there for a long time, let Him come, ‘ isn’t it?”

The boat replied, “ That day the omniscient Lord had smiled at my words. Both the brothers put their bows on me. I was really fortunate to have their bows on my lap. And when the Lord placed His Lotus Feet on me, I clung to them, I shook on both sides and sprinkled my entire body with His ‘padukapani’. Ah! What an auspicious moment that day....!”

The boatman saw the boat closed his etes and tears rolled down. Both of them had tears of joy. They recalled their past blissful moments and preserved them.

All of a sudden the wind blew. The boat shook in the water of Narendra. Both opened their eyes.
The boatman continued, “ ......Boat, when I ferried them to the other side of the Ganga, I was in a state of celestial frenzy. Such a big river seemed to be so small ! Ah, in no time the boat reached the other side of the river. The effulgent gracious figure would go out of my sight – thinking so the oar slipped from my hand. You held the Lord’s feet with a tight grip, did not let them go,”

The boat said, “ Yes dear, I do remember all those things ! The Lord made me understand, ‘Leave me .... release my feet ... I will come again.’ In tearful eyes i asked , “When... when will your Benign Self appear, my Lord? If you don’t answer categorically I won’t let you go. Please say, when will you come!! when!!!
The boat man said, “...Oh my friend, the Lord had moved His flower-like tender palm on your body and had said, ‘In the age of ‘Dwapara’... in the river Yamuna... “

The boat continued, “ The Lord stuck to His words. O, how sincere and loving He is to His devotees. An incarnation of compassion. Do you remember the events of the age of ‘Dwapara’ ?

The boatman reflected, “Yes, they are etched in many memory. He stuck to His words and appeared on you many a time in the river Yamuna; the Lord, with the curling locks of hair adorned with peacock feather, was seated under the ‘Kadamba’ tree with golden flute in His hands, yellow robes around the waist and ‘Koustuvmani’ in the eyes – Boat, how fortunate you are!”

The boat said, “And you ?”

“Whether I was there or not, He never waited for me. He ferried the ‘Gopis’ (the milkwomen) across the river. He teased the Gopis with fun and sports in the middle of the river. Out of pique and annoyance the Gopies  also poured the milk and curd that they carried for sale on His body; you witnessed all those playful activities of the lord, heard the enthralling music of His flute on the bank of river Yamuna more than me. Do you remember Her ?

“ Whom ? Oh, Maa  Radha ?”

The boatman said, “Yes.”

The boat laughed and said, “Fortunate as I was, I had held Radha Madhaba on my lap. Ah, what a captivating serene beauty ! On several occasions the Lord and Maa Radharani have ennobled both of us...... I thought myself to be really blessed for having the flute of the Lord in my lap a number of times.”

The boatman asserted, “ Boat, is it not a fact that you got the Lord on account of me ? If I were not with you ...”

The boat took it amiss and said, “Boatman, have you not attained fulfilment because of me ? Truely speaking. If I were not there, who would have ferried the Lord across the river Ganga and Yamuna ? In fact I was the base.”

Both of them were startled. They heard someone speaking with a pale face leaning against the boat, “....And me....?”

Both the boat and boatman stared, who ? The oar ?

The oar said emphatically, “If I were not there, it would not have been possible to row the boat and carry the Lord.”

Both the boat and boatman looked at each other. The oar asked , “ Why don’t you say anything about me ? 

Both of you have completely forgotten me !  I had met all of them -  the Dwarf (Bamana), Rama, Lakshmana, Radha, Madhaba. My eyes have been purified. Holding me in His fists, the Sweet heart of Radha (Lord Krishna) rowed the boat across the river Yamuna several times. In the process the peacock feather on the Lord’s head touched me many a time.”

All the three; the boat, boatman and oar kept quiet for some time. It was almost dawn. The star Venus had appeared in the eastern sky. The boat started, “Boatman ! the night passed in no time ruminating about the past three Ages. And what about the current Age...?”

The boatman said, “ this Age is more scared. Every year for twenty one days, the Lord comes to this Narendra on the occasion of Chandan festival with Maa Laxmi and Maa Bhudevi. We take Him round alongwith both the Mothers in the midst of His servitors. The water of Narendra is sanctified. We are all blessed....... In all these lies an interrelation of the four Ages – ‘Satya’, ‘Tretaya’, ‘Dwapara’, and ‘Kali’. Three Ages are over – the fourth one is going on.

All the three, the boat, boatman and the oar held the used flowers of the deities, Sri Jagannath, Laxmi, Bhudevi, close to their chest. Tears rolled down from their eyes.

The boat asked, “The night would be over, the sun would rise and the day would pass, again the Lord would come with all his companions. What is the time now?”

The boatman said, “It seems this night won’t pass !”

The oar said, “The night would be over and then the day break. The Lord seated on the gem-palanquin would arrive from the temple. Oh ! how much time left ?”

The boat, boatman and the oar observed Narendra speaking with its stirring ripples, “ I am also waiting for Lord Jagannatha.... When would He come ?”

Narendra with its undulating surface eagerly waited for that blissful moment. One thought in everybody’s mind : that the Lord would come again...... his benign presence on the auspicious occasion of boating. Taking an opportune moment Maa laxmi would throw flowers and the water of Narendra on to the Lord. The nectar like smile would flow from His lips. The devotees on the pulpit and around would attain fulfilment at this heavenly sight.

All of them were eagerly waiting for the arrival of the lord.

The Boat .....

The Boat – the Boatman .......

The Boat – the Boatman – the Oar .....

The Boat – the Boatman – the Oar – Narendra. 

                                                      ***       ***       *** 

 Source : From the book "Lord Jagannath in the Stories of Experience"
              Author: Sri Rabindra Narayan Mishra (in Oriya Language)
              Translator : Sri Suman Mahapatra
(Permission of Sri R.N.Mishra taken to bring it to my Blog. )

**********************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment